Friday, July 1, 2011

How do you find the typical age of death for a population


How do you find the typical age of death for a population?
I have been using the CIA Factbook website for research and I am trying to understand how it works. I am looking at Burma. The average age is 26.5 years, while the life expectancy at birth is 64.52 years. What I want to know is, because of the military regime and the violence going on there, what is the average age of death? Is that the life expectancy? If so, does that mean that the average age of death for Angola is 38.76 years and for Monaco it's 89.73 years (I couldn't believe that last one myself!). In the United States the life expectancy at birth is 78.24 years, and I know there aren't that many old people rockin' around in the nursing homes. On the other hand, the average age can just indicate that the population is young. Perhaps the women in the country are feeling particularly fertile at the moment (In Niger the average age is 15.2 and the average number of kids per woman is 7.68. Can YOU imagine having an average of over seven kids in a household?!?!). So what gives? How can I figure out what effect the violence of the country has on the population? Here's the site: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/bm.html
Sociology - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
the WHO has what they call the "Mortality Database" that looks to measure deathrates in various nations. You might try this.