Thursday, October 7, 2010

Working at Clothing stores


Working at Clothing stores?
I've been applying to a lot of clothing stores recently for a summer job, but hopefully I will be able to keep it part time in the fall. I've been applying to be a sales associate. I have no retail experience, but I do have A LOT of experience working with children and people in general, and I like to think I have a good eye and understanding of fashion. I've had luck at Old Navy, but they weren't paying what I was hoping for. For anyone in the retail world do you think I would have a chance at these other stores I applied to without retail experience? Zara Anthropologie H&M Gap Banana Republic Club Monaco Express The Limited New York and Company Victoria's Secret LUSH American Eagle BCBGMAXAZRIA Forever21 Thank you! Also if you have ever worked for any of these companies what did you think of them?
Fashion & Accessories - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Some of the more well-known brands can be pretty picky when choosing staff as they have alot of people wanting to work for them! so my advice would be too apply at smaller local boutiques and clothing stores even if youre not getting payed as much its worth it because experience is everything if youve got a lot of previous work in stores they would be much happier to accept you but you never know they might accept you without it but id definitly try to get some work elsewhere first goodluck! :)
2 :
Personally you might have a chance with all of them, but you never know what they are all looking for. All of the jobs I have had have been retail so I have a lot of retail experience, and I have also worked at Victoria's Secret. When there were times I needed and I applied to a lot of retail store, some which are on your list I didn't even get calls back from a lot of them so its not always about retail experience. I think that with VS you would have a good chance. I had a group interview with them and many of the girls didn't have any retail experience but as long as they had a wide enough schedule to be available they were hired. Express I didn't work there but had a interview with them and I think that they are pretty hard to get a job with. I know they base a lot of their choices on clothing since they are a high fashion store and probably on your experience. I have been applying at Express for the longest and just recently got an interview but didn't get the job so that one may be tough. Forever 21 I believe you could get a job at as long as you have a good working background. Just recently a 2 story Forever 21 opened up where I attend school at and they had open interviews on my campus and literally hired EVERYONE I even got the job but just didn't make the orientation. So that one may be really easy. As far as the other ones I don't know, but I do hope I helped in some way!
3 :
If you don't have any retail experience then that has to be your first goal. You should take the job at Old Navy and build up your experience for your CV. Once you've got a history/track record of working in retail the 'bigger brand' stores should be more willing to hire you. That said you should also be looking for Fashion Jobs/Retail Jobs in as many different places as possible, you never know what you might find...