Sunday, March 14, 2010

Am I Ivy League material? Specifically UPenn (Wharton)


Am I Ivy League material? Specifically UPenn (Wharton)?
I am a junior in high school, with a passion for business. I am already thinking of applying to the University of Pennsylvania (Wharton). I do need other schools to apply to though...help? I will be taking my SAT II's in June and APs in May. Here are my credentials: Unweighted: 4.0 ACT Composite: 33 ACT Math: 35 ACT Reading: 36 Rank: Top 5%; unfortunately, my school doesn't do ranks. However, my class consists of more than 400 kids... APs taken/planned to take: -Calc BC -English Lit -European History -Macroeconomics -Microeconomics -Physics B -Psychology -Spanish -US Government -World History Honors Classes: -Honors Physics -Honors Pre-Calc -Honors World Lit -Honors American Lit -Honors American History -Honors Algebra -Honors Geometry Other Classes Pertaining to Business: Marketing Independent Study in Marketing Economics Accounting Clubs/Sports/Other -Varsity Tennis (11-12)/Captain--(12) -DECA (10-12)--4th place and 1st place at States; Honorable Mention at Internationals (twice) -Model United Nations (11-12)/Ambassador Extraordinaire(11-12) -National Honor Society (11-12)/President(12) -Volunteer Impact Program (11-12)Secretary(11)/President(12) -Student Leadership (10-12) ----In leadership, I'm in charge of Spirit Court Elections as well as Class Elections ----Volunteer at Graduation every year ----Part of Staff Appreciation Committee in Leadership (we give little gifts to teachers bi-monthly) -100+ Hours of Community Service -Winterfest Class of 2010 Princess -Kumon (since I was 4) and have completed the program in both Reading and Math -Piano (since I was 4, till I was 16) -Honor Roll, all high school years SAT Subject Tests (will be taking) -Math II -World History -Spanish -Literature Summers: Volunteered all my summers Before Freshmen year - I traveled the Mediterranean, learning the culture of Italy, Spain, Monaco and Croatia for 2 weeks. Between Freshmen and Sophomore years - I traveled to the Baltic, learning the culture of Russia, Estonia, Norway, Finland, Sweden, and Denmark in 2 weeks Between Sophomore and Junior years - I attended the CTD (Center for Talent Development) at Northwestern University, taking AP European History in 3 weeks This summer, I plan on working and volunteering. I will also be planning a school Carnival with my friend to raise money for MDA (the Muscular Dystrophy Association). Also, I will be setting up events for my NHS chapter. So I was just wondering what you thought of my chances. I do know that I need a killer essay and a great interview but I know I can pull those off well. My basically assured university is the University of Michigan as I have contacts there, I am from the state of Michigan and my school is the largest sender into U of M. But, any other schools you'd recommend? Remember...I like business ;) Economics could work too. Let me know if you need any other information from me!
Higher Education (University +) - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
very low chances of making it. You show no continuation in your extracurriculars and have done nothing remarkably notable in high school. Sorry for being a blunt but I was an admissions officer at an ivy league school and you appear to be the below average applicant.
2 :
ha the other person is just trying to scare you.. i think you have a good chance to get into an ivy league school, but not necessarily the wharton program. you don't seem to have much buisness related activities and i think wharton takes like 50 people a year.