Saturday, August 7, 2010

Am I unique enough for selective colleges


Am I unique enough for selective colleges?
I have a 4.04 GPA (due to weighted AP classes) and I'm in the top 5% of my class. I'm a junior this year, so I'm starting to be a bit freaked out over college applications and all that good stuff. I want to apply to a lot of selective schools, like NYU, Brown, Pomona College, Yale, U. Chicago, as well as a few that are less selective, like Loyola in Chicago, UVA, etc. Do I sound at all unique? Here's what I'm involved with: student council, Youth City Council (we work with the city council to help make decisions about our community), SADD, PALs (a peer counseling program), Dutch Dance (I come from a community overrun by Dutch people, long story), theatre, NHS, and orchestra. In addition, I write a pop culture column in my local newspaper, which I really enjoy. I also volunteer at the Humane Society on weekends and during the summer... other than that, I have traveled to Italy, France, England, and Monaco as a People to People Student Ambassador, and next summer I'll be heading to China with the same organization. I know that there are a ton of applicants with good grades and extracurriculars, but does anything I've said stand out? Should I focus on one of these areas specifically in my applications? I wish I could just send in a videotape of some of the hilarious movies I've made over the years in my quest to become a YouTube phenomenon, but I don't know if that's the right way to show my uniqueness. Any thoughts? By the way, this is assuming that I do well on my ACT/SATs.
Higher Education (University +) - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You're a hell of a lot more unique than I am. You're a very good Ivy League applicant to me. I personally think you already stand out compared to the average high school student. Don't stress too much, you're fine. Just work hard on your college essay. This reminds me...I have to re-take the SAT this Saturday (Oct. 4!)
2 :
wow you're very smart and involved keep the good job i believe you are unique enough dude good luck
3 :
You may be good enough to get into one of those schools full of overachievers. And have four years of hell trying to keep up to come out as average. My daughter, now 21 and in grad school, took a different route. She went to a small women's college in Pittsburgh called Chatham University and took a degree in economics. A delightful small college on a national arboretum. The difference is that this school requires you to do thesis. Something very rare for an undergrad school. By being very careful to choose a topic of significance, in her case, highway traffic safety, she was able to use her thesis to get accepted to 4 graduate schools. She took the one where she could get a free ride after the first semester. Now that she started, one of the ones she did not choose have found her work to be so important. they have offered her a free ride all the way to a doctorate and a $1500 a month stipend. As well, Stanford and Columbia are making inquiries. She sent a copy o her thesis to Cal Trans as well, which has already resulted in some changes in highway signage on the I-15. My point here is that a less difficult school to get into that does something unique like requiring undergrads to do a thesis in order to graduate can help you more than coming out average in a very competitive school. And Chatham does not even look at your SAT and ACT.
4 :
I've got one up on you -- I lived in ICELAND one summer and I'm a certified beekeeper! :-) In all seriousness though, you sound like a very talented, well-rounded student. (The problem is that these selective schools get inundated with applications from smart, talented 4.0 students!) I think the big thing selective colleges are looking for are students who will enrich the whole educational experience for OTHER students on campus. Anyone with money can travel and do cool extracurriculars, but someone with the personal character to serve other people and hold leadership positions will stand out. So...I'd focus on two things: service and leadership. You as the PERSON is what you need to wow them with.